Recognition of a foreign secondary school (maturity) certificate
for purposes of admission to first cycle (BA level) studies or long-cycle (MA level) studies in Poland————–
Recognition (nostrification) of a certificate or the level of education is done by the Education Superintendent appropriate for the place of residence of the Applicant, and if there is no such place, for the official seat of the institution where the Applicant is going to submit the certificate:
- in Warsaw: KURATORIUM OŚWIATY W WARSZAWIE – address: Aleje Jerozolimskie 32, 00-024 Warsaw; phone: +48 (0) 22 551 24 00 ext. 5121; fax: +48 (0) 22 826 64 97; e-mail: email@example.com);
- a list of all local educational authorities in Poland >>>.
Recognition of a certificate or a level of education or the right to continue education is not necessary in case of:
- certificates or other documents issued by schools operating in educational systems of EU, OECD or EFTA members, which allow access to higher education institutions in those countries (at present: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Malta, Mexico, Norway, New Zealand, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Turkey, USA);
- IB diplomas (International Baccalaureate) issued by International Baccalaureate Organization in Geneva;
- EB diplomas (European Baccalaureate) issued by European Schools in accordance with the Convention drawn up in Luxembourg on 21 June 1994;
- certificates issued in countries with which Poland has signed bilateral agreements concerning the recognition of education (at present: Belarus, China, Ukraine); certificates issued under the agreements which expired will still be recognized on the basis of those agreements.
The list of bilateral agreements can be found at: http://nauka.gov.pl/en/recognition-of-academic-qualifications/legal-acts.html.
If a certificate or other document qualifies the holder to apply for admission to only certain departments (in certain fields of study) in the country of issuance, also in Poland he / she can apply to the same or similar departments.
If the international agreements do not provide otherwise, a certificate issued abroad can be recognised by means of an administrative decision as a document confirming the following levels of education in Poland: primary, lower secondary, upper secondary, basic vocational or the right to continue education, including the right to continue education at higher education institutions taking into consideration the scope of rights appertaining.
Recognition of foreign higher education degrees in Poland
for the purpose of further studies
A foreign degree giving access to further studies or the right to start doctoral proceedings in the country where it was awarded, gives its holder access to second cycle studies, postgraduate studies, third cycle / doctoral studies or the right to start doctoral proceedings in Poland.
A foreign degree may also be recognised for the purpose of further education on the basis of an international agreement (check whether your certificate can be recognised on the basis of international agreement).
If your degree does not give access to further studies in a country where it was obtained, and you still wish to continue education in Poland, you have to have your degree nostrified.
Nostrification is a procedure whereby a foreign educational qualification is compared to its Polish equivalent and their equivalence determined. The competent authorities to conduct the nostrification procedure are organizational units of higher education institutions authorized to confer an academic degree of a doktor (doctor) in a given field of science or in a given field of art providing education in an area corresponding to a field of study completed abroad. Click here to view the list of authorised units.
Other important information
A foreign secondary school (maturity) certificate / higher education diploma must be accompanied by a document (information) stating that the certificate / diploma entitles to undertake or continue university-level study in country in which the diploma was issued (such proof should be issued or certified by the school or educational institution which issued the certificate / diploma or by educational authorities of the country which issued the certificate or in which system of education the school operates).
When a foreign secondary school (maturity) certificate, a higher school degree or other document obtained abroad is recognized by way of nostrification, the candidate is required to submit a certificate stating its equivalence with the relevant Polish maturity certificate / diploma of higher education, as soon as possible, but not later than till the end of the first semester of studies. If a student does not fulfill this requirement, s/he will be deleted from the study.
More information on recognition for academic purposes >>>